The Fund was established by the Rev’d John Jefford-Weller and his wife Kathleen in 1988.
Although they were motivated by their Christian beliefs and concern for the needy, the Fund is available to support individuals and groups of any faith or none who are working with homelessness and housing issues in Derbyshire.
The fund works to help prevent homelessness – tackling the root causes & stopping vulnerable individuals from spiralling into a situation where they may become homeless. This could include supporting individuals with mental health problems, addictions, debt problems, dealing with domestic abuse and a range of other issues.
The fund also recognises the need for reactionary work – providing support for people who are currently homeless whether this be the basic provision of shelter and food or more long term support to re-gain tenancies, education etc.
The Jefford-Weller fund also offers financial assistance directly to the organisations working hard to bring about these changes in the form of grants for organisational improvements.
Type of Projects costs funded
- Capital (equipment) including refurbishment/building work
- Revenue (non-equipment) including running costs for a project or group
- Research costs
There are no other priorities
Derby City & Derbyshire
The maximum grant is £2,000
There are no fixed closing dates. The decision-making panel meet quarterly.
Examples of grants made
- £1,500 for a women’s refuge to run art therapy sessions for children residing there
- £2,000 towards costs for furniture to help young people with the transition from a sheltered housing project to independent living
- £670 for a soup run project to create a canopy shelter for protection against the elements
- £2,000 for an independent hostel to upgrade their office resources
Making An Application
The Foundation has an online application process. You will need to have a valid e-mail address to access the application process. If you do not wish to complete the form online but would prefer to handwrite your bid then please do let us know and we’ll happily post you a hard copy out. Find out more about making an application below.